I
recently read a short story called “ Jimmy Santiago Baca: Poetry as Lifesaver”
by Rob Baker. I thought the story was inspirational and like the bit about Baca
being born with rattle snake venom in his blood. It’s inspirational that someone can change so
much from such a negative influence to such a positive influence on society.
Art
is rarely rewarded especially on a professional level or being able to make a
living at it. The right brained people of this world often suffer and mediocre
jobs because there is not much of a market for creativity. I like how Baca
found a way not only to receive recognition for his talents but he used them as
a way to therapeutically help himself deal with issues in his past and how he
can fit into society.
I
myself play a wooden fief. I also play to help me deal with stress and
difficult situations. Especially going outside on a nice day and playing my
fief and watching my kids play.
I
am always amazed at the human ability to find ways to release stress or to
express themselves’. It’s not always released in a healthy way but one way or
another the steam finds its way to the surface either in an explosion with some
or a piece of poetry for another.
http://www.unm.edu/~joglesby/Baca.pdf
Jacob Hollar
No comments:
Post a Comment