In English class a stroy by Joanna Mackay found here http://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/write/backtothelake3/msp/Argument_MacKay.pdf
was discussed briefly by our instructor. I read the story and found many touchy
issues from religious to legal. Is it legal to sell body parts? Is it moral to
sell body parts? Is it right to keep someone from doing with their body what
they want to? To be honest none of that interest me. I view the body as a
machine with parts. Parts that sometimes need to be replaced.
I have a special needs son and I know what it’s like to have a
family member you care deeply about life hanging in the balance. You would do anything to save
them but where would you draw a line. For me I think the answers are not from
buying other peoples organs but in producing them. Growing them. I have seen
first-hand what modern medicine can do. This article http://www.smithsonianmag.com/40th-anniversary/organs-made-to-order-863675/?no-ist
By Gretchen Vogel reveals new and exciting research and even production of producing
organs. Genetics has also came along way. I hope in the future organs will be
grown for people and life spans increased.
My wife works with the elderly and they too are often victims of
their bodies failing parts, especially in the brain. In the end its not just
about living longer but quality of life be it constantly chained to a dialysis
machine or looseing the sense of who you are along with your memories as old
age strikes. I love medicine and I don’t think others should ever have to give
up there given parts but research into stem Cells or even growing new organs
should be in my opinion completely fair game.
Jacob Hollar
Growing new organs? I like that idea, would have never thought about it until I read your post. I do think that our government as well as other countries should come up with some way to help people live their lives the way they want to live them. Hopefully they will come up with a way to help save lives.
ReplyDelete