Hello, I recently read a short story by Rick
Bragg called "All Over but the Shoutin". It can be bought
here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/all-over-but-the-shoutin-rick-bragg/1100619483?ean=9780679774020.
I thought the story was bitter sweet and highlighted the authors troubled
origins. Many emotions are presented, Regret, Pity, hatred and Love. The author
successfully paints a visual image in the readers mind about the environment,
culture, time and emotional conflict.
Both characters resonate with me because I of
personal experiences that I have had. The author who is telling the story
through his eyes, clearly torn between
the reality and abuses from his past and the current pitiable state of his
estranged father. The father oblivious to the pain he caused his loved
ones. The father also proabably knows he
doesn’t have much time left. My mind goes to cerosis of the liver due to the
mention of alcoholism and descriptions the fatherss physical appearance.
What I have taken most from this story is that
all actions have consequenes. Learning to deal with difficult situations and
choosing a coping method that does not harm others. The actions we take in this
life really do echo down through time one person effecting the next in a chain
reaction of life. Seeing time through this lens puts smaller issues in their
place and puts important consequential
issues at the forefront of the mind where they belong.
Jacob
Hollar
No comments:
Post a Comment